Last Thursday, I took my wife to the airport. It was mid-morning, and I realized that I didn’t have to check with anyone, or call the office to tell them I would be a few hours late. How cool is that?
It got me thinking about some of the advantages of working from home.
- Flexible schedule. As I noted above, I can rearrange my schedule to meet the needs of my family.
- Accountability. I am accountable only to myself to how I spend my time. Of course, my customers might have something to say to me if I goofed off too much!
- Clothing. This might seem odd to mention, but in the six months that I have freelanced full time, I have spent far less on clothing than when I worked in an outside office. I usually just wear whatever’s comfortable unless I am meeting with a local client.
- You can get your family involved. My wife is now working with me in my business, and some of my children are as well.
- You can network with your colleagues across the country. Among internet marketers especially, I have found an openness to share and collaborate, such that I have not noticed in any other industry.
There are five advantages that I thought of in one sitting. To be fair, I’ll create another post on the disadvantages of working from home. It’s not all wine and roses, after all!